Hexham Courant Article 27 September 2013

Obituary -   Christine Westmacott (September 2013)

 The death of Christine so close to the death of her husband Christopher has taken from Newton village two well respected people who have contributed a great deal to village life over several decades.Christine died on 3rd September 2013 only eight months after Christopher and our   sympathy and condolences go to their children Diana and Philip and all their family.

Christine was born in 1921 in central Newcastle and was the second of five children of heart physician Dr William Errington Hume and his wife Marie Elisabeth (known as Mimi) who originated from Wimereux near Boulogne. Christine went to Central High School, Newcastle followed by boarding at St Mary’s in Ascot. She enjoyed School life and there were many family holidays to stay with her French relatives and to the Lake District. 

On leaving School Christine spent a year at Cookery School before teaching  domestic  science  she met Christopher at Jesmond Tennis Club they were married in 1951 for what was to be 62 years of happy marriage. By 1954 Diana and Philip were born initially living in Jesmond before moving to Gosforth. Family life was very happy with holidays in Sandsend, Craster, Ullswater taking part in many outdoor activities including walking on Christine’s favourite fell, Cat Bells in the Lake District.

Christine was a volunteer for the Red Cross and had interests of ornithology, gardening, sailing and ballet. In 1977 after a move to London she was employed helping in the office which organised Royal Garden Parties and it was at this time that her brother George Hume became Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster.

Retirement brought Christine and Christopher to Newton where they have enjoyed village life. Here they took pleasure in supporting their aged parents and grandchildren and last year Christine was delighted by the arrival of George, her first great grandchild. A devout catholic all her life Christine was a most gracious, kind and thoughtful lady.


Obituary - Elizabeth (Betty) Blythe    (Feb 2013)

Until recently, as a staunch member of Stocksfield Methodist Church,she walked to Church and back twice on a Sunday in her Sunday best to attend services, stubbornly refusing offers of lifts unless the rain was pouring down.
Betty was never idle and was well known for her baking. She was happiest in the kitchen where she produced her well known cakes, scones and lemon curd, and cooked regular Sunday lunches for her children and their families.
She will be sadly missed by all her friends and Bywell neighbours.I am told that 'google earth' shows her quite plainly walking down the road,as the only person living and moving in Bywell. What a fantastic memorial for an amazing woman.

Bywell lost it's oldest and perhaps longest resident earlier this month when Elizabeth (Betty) Blythe, of 2 Bywell House,died in Redbrick House, Prudhoe aged 96.She was born in Prudhoe, in 1916, part of a strong Methodist family, and brought up to be a fine cook, knitter and embroideress.

She met her husband to be, Tommy, while she was in service and he was the gardener at a house in New Ridley Road, Stocksfield After qualifying in nursing and midwifery, she and Thomas were married in Dec. 1951, and moved into No 2 Bywell House, where her husband was employed as Head gardener for the Allendale Estates.After the birth of her 2 children, David and Elizabeth, she continued her nursing career as night sister at Hexham hospital until herretirement in the 1960's.

A fiercely independant lady, she would cycle to Stocksfield Station in all weather to get the Hexham train and was known to walk home from Dilston after a night on maternity duty.

Two bitterly cold winters took their toll on her, and in April 2012 she reluctantly moved to 80 Guessburn, a warm bungalow with all the comfort she needed. Her only complaint was ' but it isn't Bywell'.


Obituary Christopher Westmacott - Jan 2013 

Christopher died on 3rd January 2013 aged 87 at home in Newton. Our heartfelt condolences go to Christine and their children Diana and Philip and all their family. Christopher was born in Calcutta but returned to live in England at the age of seven. After a short period in Sunningdale the family moved to Newcastle. Christopher was educated first at Newcastle Preparatory School, then at Oundle and Trinity College, Cambridge, where he studied mechanical engineering. He served in the Royal Navy on HMS Superb and was interested in a range of sports including rowing and rugby. He obtained employment with C. A. Parsons as an Engineer. They were his lifelong employer.

 In 1950 Christopher was part of the Championship winning Gosforth Rugby Club. In January 1951 he and Christine (Hume) were married settling into a home in Jesmond. Diana and Philip were born in the years that followed and the family moved to Gosforth where they enjoyed many happy years. Walking in the Lake District and family gatherings were an important part of this. Christopher was interested in sailing and built an Enterprise dinghy in his garage with a friend. He enjoyed sailing the Enterprise at Tynemouth and in the Lake District. He also built two kites and enjoyed modelling and music – especially jazz and classical. He was a regular concertgoer. Christopher and Christine moved to Newton in 1983 and this has been their home ever since. He was very much involved in village life and was a keen gardener being a member of Corbridge Gardening Club.

 Worshiping at Corbridge and Minsteracres meant he was well known in the area. Christopher was truly a family man and always supported the family in their ventures. Those who knew Christopher will know that he had a great sense of humour and was always generous, kind and ready to help. Christopher and Christine enjoyed many holidays in Italy. In the year 2000 as part of the celebration of the Millennium Christopher organised a plaque to commemorate the agricultural business of Sims Engineering which was based at the western end of Newton. The plaque is fixed to the wall near the notice board outside Edwin’s Shop and there was a superb ceremony to unveil the plaque. This was a great event which was attended by many of the retired engineers who had worked at the Engineering Works.